This week, iOS 16 grew to become obtainable for iPhone homeowners to obtain — giving them the flexibility to edit and unsend iMessages.
However earlier than we get into that, to my readers within the UK and throughout Europe, be forewarned: Right this moment’s the day Amazon is growing its Prime membership costs. This is what you will need to know.
Additionally, the Ethereum blockchain accomplished its long-awaited Merge improve early this morning, cofounder Vitalik Buterin stated in a Twitter put up.
Now, let’s get to the remainder of the information.
This put up first appeared in 10 Issues in Tech, a e-newsletter by Insider that brings you all the most recent tech information & scoops — delivered day by day to your inbox. Enroll right here. Obtain Insider’s app right here.
1. It is right here: iPhone customers can now edit and unsend their texts. On Monday, Apple’s fall software program replace, iOS 16, grew to become obtainable for customers to obtain. Insider reporter Katie Canales took the function for a take a look at drive — and is satisfied it is one among Apple’s neatest software program updates so far.
- By holding down on a textual content, you will have the choice to “Undo Ship” or “Edit” your message.
- In case you’re messaging with somebody who hasn’t downloaded the replace, nonetheless, they may get two texts: the unique and the edited model. In case you unsend a message, the recipient should see the unique message on gadgets the place the software program hasn’t been up to date.
- Consider, the brand new options will not work for those who’re speaking with Android customers and their green-colored bubbles — including extra gasoline to the continuing drama between Google and Apple.
- General, although, Katie discovered it was an thrilling new function to have within the Apple toolbox — a lot in order that she stated it may be the good factor the corporate has carried out in a very long time.
Every part you will must find out about unsending texts.
In different information:
2. Netflix laid off 30 animation studio employees. In an e mail to employees Wednesday, the corporate stated it might be letting go about 2% of its animation unit. Because the begin of the yr, Netflix has minimize greater than 450 staffers, plus 70 animation contractors. Extra on the most recent Netflix cuts. Plus, learn the memo despatched to employees.
3. A bundle that exploded on Northeastern College’s campus had a word criticizing Mark Zuckerberg connected. CNN reported the bundle — which was one among two — included a word that criticized the Fb founder, and the connection between teachers and the development of digital actuality. One college employee was injured. What we all know up to now.
4. Need cereal within the workplace? Accumulate donations. In response to a former Amazon worker, one of many firm’s managers took away a staff’s cereal privilege to save cash — and requested employees to donate cereal as an alternative. Every part else the worker shared.
5. Startup founder salaries have been upended available in the market downturn. New information means that founders in places just like the Bay Space and Los Angeles have not too long ago seen their salaries dip, maybe partially due to a tricky VC funding surroundings and macroeconomic uncertainty. How the downturn has affected founders.
6. Google shall be compelled to pay greater than $4 billion to the European Union. The tech large simply misplaced its attraction in its court docket battle over claims of Android’s anticompetitive habits. Get the total rundown right here.
7. A startup that lets employees entry their wages as they earn them simply raised $10 million in recent funds. Rosaly, a French wage advance fintech startup, needs to change into a platform for worker monetary wellbeing. Check out the pitch deck they used to woo buyers, and discover our library of profitable pitch decks.
8. A brand new chart exhibits the tech corporations with the costliest inventory compensation. Amazon and Google are main the development of public tech corporations diluting their stockholders as a compensation technique to woo expertise to their corporations, Insider’s evaluation discovered. See the place different companies fall.
Odds and ends:
9. Google’s latest product is… potato chips? Forward of the discharge of its new Pixel 7 telephone in Japan, Google simply revived one among its weirdest advertising and marketing ploys: releasing limited-edition potato chips in flavors like Snow Cheese and Obsidian Pepper. Try Google’s potato chips.
10. Video exhibits a food-delivery robotic meandering by means of against the law scene. Posted on-line this week, the footage exhibits the robotic crossing beneath police tape in Los Angeles and into against the law scene. Watch the little courier scooting by means of the scene.
What we’re watching in the present day:
- Amazon is ready to extend the value of its Prime membership within the UK.
- NASA will present highlights of Perseverance rover’s exploration of Mars, a yr and a half after it first touched down.
- 25 years in the past, the Google.com area identify was registered.
- Tokyo Recreation Present, an leisure and gaming occasion, kicks off in the present day.
Hold up to date with the most recent tech information all through your day by trying out The Refresh from Insider, a dynamic audio information temporary from the Insider newsroom. Hear right here.